Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Unwanted Promotion 2

There were three of us offered the promotion, but they told us that all three could take it if we wanted to and that it was not absolutely required that two of us accept.

Simon accepted almost immediately. He's building a house and needs the extra money. Marcel and I spent the whole day glaring at one another, basically each deciding that "I will be the second if you don't want to." So it was an impasse of sorts.

Today Marcel broke the impasse and has decided to go ahead and take the promotion.

So this is the best of every possible world for me.

First, I was offered the chance to go to QA. They honestly didn't have to extend to me the offer. The other two have been here twice as long as me and they could have made sure that one of them didn't want it before moving down to me. So I am honored to make that cut. It makes me feel a bit more secure in my job.

Second, with the two slots they wanted to fill now filled, I am not under any pressure to accept. With Marcel deciding to do it, I'm leaning against. But I'll mull it over for another day or so.

Simon, Marcel, and I all shared four basic concerns:

  1. Hilton Wilde is in charge of the QA department, and none of us are quite sure about him. Since taking over QA he's made our life a lot more difficult. He's not a particularly friendly person and our current boss, Willard, is the most friendly person I have ever met.

  2. Right now we are creating things. What do we do? We make reports! There is a sense of accomplishments. All QA does is make sure that docs that are created are correct. It's like being on the offensive line: the only time you're noticed is when you screw up.

  3. Theoretically, with some procedural changes, our current job is poised to get a lot easier. Things will get a little easier for QA, but not nearly as much so.

  4. This company has a short memory. Several months ago they cancelled quarterly bonuses in favor of a "performance-based system"... that hasn't been put in to place yet. That will probably never be put in to place. For good and for ill, this company has a problem following through with its plans.

  5. Then I had a fifth one: Last week I decided that it was time to look for work elsewhere. Ironically, that was because I couldn't take the position that I was in anymore. Except that I spent most of Monday worried that I might get transferred out to a less desirable position. But the long and short of it is that if I need to miss work for a job interview, I can do it where I'm at. Under Hilton, that might be more difficult.

On the upshot:

  1. More money.

  2. Bigger cubicle.

  3. A step up the ladder.

  4. All roads out of Reports go through QA. If I don't go to QA, I'll not be going anywhere else, either (may not be an issue because by the time I were to get promoted out of QA I won't be living in Deseret anymore).

  5. The raise being offered now may not be offered later. They might bring out the stick instead of the carrot.

  6. As much of a Pain in the Butt as Hilton is, we've butted heads with him being active in the defense and advancement of his department. He's probably a lot better to work under than he is to work against.


So there we stand...

-{Background: Unwanted Promotion 1}-
-{Background: Working and Living Space}-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home