Thursday, April 07, 2005

Looks Like An Oopsie

When I was in high school I scored a job as a receptionist at ClippityClip, a national retail barber shop slash salon. I owed that to my friend Carlos.

There was generally only one receptionist on duty, but this was the Saturday of North Tangramayne High's prom and therefore extraordinarily busy.

Those of you that have been to places like ClippityClips will understand what I'm talking about when I refer to a "head sink." It's similar to a kitchen or bathroom sink except that it has an opening for the neck so that someone can put their head in to get their hair shampooed. We also used them to clean combs.

Well I'm a little over 6'3." Without forcing any math lessons this early in the morning, I'll just say when I am cleaning combs, the neck hole is about six inches below my waste.

One day I turned on the sink a little too forcefully with a few too many combs deflecting the water straight out the neck hole and onto my slacks in a very inconvenient place. I looked down, I looked over at Carlos. Carlos looked over at me confusedly. I turned my body to face him.

He laughed so hard he literally fell down. I have never seen anyone laugh that hard in my entire life.

Today on my drive to work I spilled my Mountain Dew. I cursed myself for probably thirty cents worth of drink spilled. When I picked the can up off the floormat, I naturally picked it up upside down and poured another fifteen cents in... a very inconvenient place.

Luckily I was able to slip in before anyone noticed and subsequently fell on their ass laughing so hard.

Addendum: Every time I get up, I have to survey the area to make sure no one is going to be behind me (it appears my backside actually got the worst of it, which makes sense considering that I was sitting in Mountain Dew for ten minutes or so). Whenever this happens, I hear the "Mission Impossible" music playing in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home