Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Baby Bug

So what was happening 5-10 months ago?

Conceptions. A handful around the office. You can tell a lot about a person by what they name their child. I was named for relatives, which is probably the most neutral. And it's more difficult to go wrong that way.

But most of the names around here either come from religious texts or some grasping for some sense of uniqueness or just a "Gosh that sounds pretty."

Yesterday Cadence Martin was brought into this world and an email to that affect went around the office. Given what I know of her mother, the name "Cadence" - even for a boy - surprises me not a wit. I'm surprised it's not something Super Unique like Gaedwyn or something.

But just as common are religious names. I wasn't surprised when one particular coworker has named her (existing - at twenty-six, she's got some breedin' years left and so there are more to come) flock Isaiah, Moses, Sariah*, and Alma*. I am not only unsurprised by the religious nature of the names, but the degree of religiosity, whether it's Paul and Jacob or Nephi* and Helaman*.

The more of my peers I see having children, the greater tragedy I see in someone's first identifying characteristic being made my someone who won't be saddled with it for the rest of their life and made (at least partly) with the purpose of self-expression. Of course the kids won't see it until their generation names next.

They'll do as I did and assume that everyone ought to be named Jason or Jennifer. Except that it'll be Kaden and Madison.

Part of me wants to make predictions and go around and ask the mothers-to-be what they are going to name their kids. Not sure I want them to think I really care, though.

* - Prominant figures in the Book of Mormon, which is a big deal 'round these parts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home